Thursday, March 25, 2010

Potty Training Idea

I recently potty trained my little girl. She was showing all kinds of signs of readiness to train a few months before I was showing signs of readiness to train. So I thought it would be a cinch once I finally got myself ready to begin the process. Everything started out well. She was going both number 1 and number 2 on the toilet well, with only an accident or two a day. And then after a few weeks she stopped pooping in the toilet. Why? I'll never know. What I do know is that after something like three weeks of having to clean at least one or two pairs of poopy underpants a day, I decided enough was enough. After trying a few different techniques that other people suggested, I finally went to my last resort: bribery. Well, sort of. Its really more like a reward system. I made a chart with sixteen squares. Then I got out some small stickers and bought a prize. I chose a $4 Cinderella doll that she asks for every time we go to Target. Next I taped everything up on the wall directly across from the toilet (and decently high up so she wouldn't be able to reach it on her own or with the help of a chair) so she could see it well every time she sat on the potty.

I explained to her that each time she went stinky on the toilet and still had clean underwear, she would get to put a sticker in one of the squares. Then as soon as all the squares had a sticker in it, she would have earned her Cinderella doll. 2 1/2 weeks later, she has earned her doll and I have only had to clean about 3 pairs of messy underwear since we put up the chart. It took her a day or two to catch on, but then one day it just clicked and she's made it to the toilet ever since.

Photobucket

No comments:

AddThis Suggested Content