Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Crib Canopy for the Princess

My little girl needed something to dress up her room, and what better than a royal canopy? The problem was that all the ones I wanted were $100 or more. So here was my fancy little idea... I started out with a wire basket that hangs on the wall (bought it at Ross for $10), and spray painted it white ($2 at any craft/all-purpose store). Spray paint works best for a solid color because it gets in all those teeny tiny crevasses that your paint brush can't reach. If you're going for a vintage or shabby chic look, you may try acrylic paint and a foam brush.


Using some white toole (or sheer curtains called "Lill" from IKEA for $5), I poked the fabric through the base of the wire basket. To make it stay in place, you can hot glue it, sew it by hand, or just do what I did - safety pin it.


Then hang it on the wall...


...add a little color to the basket (I used stuffed animals, but it would look great with whatever you wanted to put in there)...


And there you have it my friends! A beautiful new canopy for your bed... or your baby's bed! If you're concerned about little fingers getting ahold of that beautiful sheer fabric and pulling it down, just use a pair of hooks or curtain tie-backs on the wall to keep it away from the bed and out of harm's way.

1 comment:

Jess said...

That is ADORABLE!! Will you make one for my bed? ;)